teenager
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DIY.

3 posters

Go down

DIY. Empty DIY.

Post by Kaz Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:28 am

Have you ever looked at your favorite bag or favorite ball gown and thought, "Huh. I wonder how I would go about making something like that?" I have. And I have a whole folder dedicated to images of clothes I like. I usually find them on websites and take all of the angle shots they provide and save them for later references.

I remember sitting at MEPS (it's the place where people enter the military), waiting to be called to see Zephran swear into the military. I brought along one of my favorite bags. I'm an incredibly impatient person, mind you. So to entertain myself I looked at my bag and tried to figure out what were the first steps in order to make it. I just so fascinated with it! I often do this so I can make reference later.

I'm also my own tailor. I altered down a dress I bought from a size six to a size two. I belted it with a two inch wide faux-leather belt. I wore it to my brother's girlfriend's, named Justine, 18th birthday party at a pizza restaurant. They have been dating for about a year now so this was supposed to be not only a birthday party, but a meeting of families. I wanted to look my best for everyone involved.

This dress is fitted to my curves and is a pencil-shape from my hip-bone down. It is no-sleeved-one-and-a-half-inch-long at it's thinest (and two inches at it's widest) shoulder-strap, made out of polyester, closed-back, and the collar is just hits an inch below my collar bone that is in a box shape. It's darted at the bottom of the chest area to emphasize how skinny the wearer is. The pattern has sort of a rain forest feel because of the leaves. The color scheme is pretty awesome. It has a varied sort of greens, mixed with some green-white and stand-out black. It's a pretty conservative, but versatile, little piece.

Polyester has a stigma of being very vibrant. But there's nothing wrong with either parts of that sentence because a lot of polyester clothing is extremely bright. But this piece was just perfect because it's not too muted and not too loud. It goes great against my skin being that it's green and I'm a red head. (:

I had a LOT of fun altering it.

Justine asked me where I got it and if it came in different colors because it was so unique she wanted one.

I told her that I doubted it because I bought it at the Good Will for $3.00. And the belt for an extra $2.00.

Her jaw just -dropped.- I felt really special. (:

Do you make your own clothes?

Sort of fun fact: The bits of plastic used in putting together bras (such as the little circles on the straps and the strap slider itself) are also made from the left over parts of the gasoline-to-oil process. How did I know this? I watched a documentary on the making of bras - I kid you not. (; It was on BBCA.

1 inch = 2.54 centimeters.

Kaz
Hormonal Victim

Female
Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Back to top Go down

DIY. Empty Re: DIY.

Post by Neonk Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:32 am

altered down a dress I bought from a size six to a size two
Wow, thats so small. Shocked I'm 15, 5'6tall and a UK size 8, which I think is US size 6?

Anyway, I've never attempted DIYing my clothes, I fail at artisticness. XD
Neonk
Neonk
Admin

Female
Number of posts : 65
Registration date : 2009-02-14

https://teenager.forumotion.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Serenity Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:44 am

I'd love to make my own outfits. I got some cute clothes at good will once and made a nice little mix but I can't remember what outfit it was now considering all my clothes are hand-me-downs from older people. Bleh...>.>

It must be fun to do that!
Serenity
Serenity
Hormonal Victim

Female
Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2009-02-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down